Monday 18 May 2009

I’m back from Padstow, St. Ives, Penzance, Newquay, and Tintagel! What a weekend I had in Cornwall! May 15-17th 2009

For our final SIE field trip, we assembled in Tennis Courts on May 15th at precisely 7:30am for our long journey to Cornwall! It was a little over a 5 hour trip to our first destination, the Eden Project. The Eden Project brings together science, art, technology and commerce to promote conservation and develop new strategies for sustainability. The Eden Project is made up of biomes (Rainforest and the Mediterranean) that explore the relationship of people, plants, and the planet.

We stayed for just under 4 hours and it was very cool! The biomes were absolutely amazing and beautiful. Just walking around the Eden Project was a stunning view. After our short, but worthwhile visit, we took off for our Youth Hostel at Treyarnon Bay in Padstow. We had a group meal, which was yummy and FREE! Then a bunch of us took off to explore the beach right outside the hostel for a few hours and had a great time playing in the water and taking pictures of the breathtaking scenery!
Saturday May 16th, we woke up bright and early, had yet another free meal, and took off for St Ives to do some shopping and walk around a bit. It was a lovely little town full of cute shops and yummy bistros. We first made our way to the beach to take some photos and then took off for city centre to get those last minute treasures. I managed to trip off the curb and land on my face in front of a group of people as I was window shopping. Great. After St. Ives we stopped for a bit in Penzance (Pirates of Penzance) and then made our way back to the hostel for yet another free meal and fun on the beach!

Sunday May 17th we had ANOTHER free meal at the hostel and then took off for Newquay to go SURFING! We arrived at 10am to get our suits on and surf boards. The place where we got our suits and surfboards was a ‘bit’ away from the actual beach in which we were to surf and it was a ‘bitch’ of a walk. It was about a 15 minute walk downhill and all of us knew that walking up that after surfing for three hours was going to be ‘hell.’ We had a quick lesson and then the surfing instructor set us loose. I got up twice but that was about it. After two hours of high winds, waves crashing on to me, hitting a few rocks with my feet, and a gallon of salt water in my eyes and mouth, we had to stop. It was a blast and I can’t wait to do it again! As I said before, the walk uphill was a bitch. My arms were like noodles and it was a pain. That I don’t want to do again!

We then had ten minutes to change out of sandy, wetsuits into dry clothes and get back on the coach. We all had sand everywhere and there was no place to rinse off….cool. We made a quick stop at Tintagel to see King Arthur’s Castle by the sea and then we were off to Bham.

Cornwall was absolutely beautiful and a truly lovely place. I hope to someday make it back to Cornwall because I had such a great time! It was sad to know that this was my last trip ever with these 42 special people who now make up my new family.

“You have to deal with the knowledge that what you’ve just lived will never be recreated.”

I leave on Thursday morning at 7:30am for Heathrow and will be arrive in Minneapolis airport at approximately 11:30pm. It’s going to be a long, sad journey but good to be home. I will miss England dearly and I will forever cherish the time I’ve had here.

Cheers and will be seeing you very soon,

Kirsten

No comments: